Sunday 27 September 2009

Out of control

So after another bottle of wine, which I could barely (no sorry couldn't) afford and weeks of sleepless nights I finally had to face the truth......

No amount of juggling credit cards, increasing overdrafts and 'loan consolidating' could get me out of this one. My high maintenance lifestyle would have to come to an end. My tastes were Gucci, Cristal, and St.Tropez, unfortunately my income was more akin to Ethel Austins and Liebfruamilch!

It was a standing joke amongst my friends, they would frugally sift through the rails for sale items and scour Asda for 'whoopsies', whilst I was not doing any old food shop, darlings, only M & S fine foods for me.

We would go on holiday, not a holiday for which I'd saved all year,no this would be a holiday which I'd gone on a whim and paid for on plastic. My currency would arrive to my door from Selfridges Financial services (to be paid for on the never never). Of course there would be the infamous new bikini, with matching sarong bag and flip flops (and I'm not talking Primark). And still I partied.......! Slowly the sinking feeling in my stomach as I spiralled deeper and deeper into the red became stronger and stronger.

So eleven thirty an that fateful night after the wine kicked in and the tears flowed once again I picked up the phone..Not to order a new dress or book my latest trip , for the first time in my life I was being sensible and was on the phone to the government debtline!

I felt relief...........I'd finally admitted I had a problem.I actually built up quite a rapport with the man on the end of the phone.We laughed as I went through my outgoings."Do you really need to spend that much a month on hairdressers and makeup?" he asked. To which I replied,"I have to look good if I'm going to bag my millionaire!"

So three months later i found myself with a new bank account (with no overdraft),and in a legally bound IVA. No more credit and a large amount of my salary each month towards paying off my outrageous debt.And I had to live within my means.
Six years later it is all paid off and I'm in a much better place. But like any recovering addict temptation is always there. I feel proud that I faced my demons and sorted myself out.

Now just off to get a new bikini for Egypt... where to shop?!

4 comments:

  1. PRIMARK . . Joke!!! Lovely, honest posting. Loved every word of it.

    Welcome to blogging. I'm newish myself . . it's a lot of fun! Funny how you reveal things, private things to people you know nothing about.

    I'm going to follow you and travel with you, right from your first posting. Pop over to my blog, it's fun and varied and I'm guessing you'll have a laugh! You may even want to follow me if you like what you see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Good on you for sorting things out.....and although I'm definitely not addicted to spending money I know exactly the high you get from being able to spend what you want. Luckily I never had to worry about not being able to pay the bills...unfortunately my husband IS addicted and it is out of control now. I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Refreshingly honest and definitely motivational to those many many thousands of people experiencing similar difficulties. Well Done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the bloging comunity excellent honest writing. Hope you are sorted now hun. Keep writing its therapy and keeps you off the internet shops :) x

    ReplyDelete